Men's Tennis Falls on the Road to Chattanooga 4-3
HIXSON, Tenn. – The Belmont men's tennis team lost a heartbreaker to host Chattanooga 4-3 in a non-conference match played Friday evening at the Hixson Racquet Club in Hixson, Tennessee.
Belmont (0-2) won the first point of the match as they swept the first two doubles matches. At number one, Renato Antun and Rafael Matos beat Roberto Vieira and Chris Smith 8-6. Then at number two doubles, Henrique Norbiato and Bruno Silva beat Ankit Chopra and Stephen Crofford 9-8 (7-5).
In singles, the Mocs roared back, winning four of the six matches to clinch the match win over the Bruins. The two wins for Belmont came at positions three and six. At number three, Henrique Norbiato beat Ankit Chopra 7-5, 1-6, 6-3, while at number six, Bruno Silva beat Pavels Grigorjevs 6-4, 1-6, 6-3.
The Bruins return to action on Saturday as they play at Jacksonville State starting at 12:00 noon.
Chattanooga 4, Belmont 3
1. Roberto Vieira (UTC) def. Rodrigo Amaral (BELM) 6-4, 6-2
2. Chris Smith (UTC) def. Renato Antun (BELM) 6-4, 6-2
3. Henrique Norbiato (BELM) def. Ankit Chopra (UTC) 7-5, 1-6, 6-3
4. M. Barroetavena (UTC) def. Rafael Matos (BELM) 5-7, 7-5, 6-3
5. Jackson Tresnan (UTC) def. Fernando Mussolini (BELM) 7-6 (7-5), 6-2
6. Bruno Silva (BELM) def. Pavels Grigorjevs (UTC) 6-4, 1-6, 6-3
1. Renato Antun/Rafael Matos (BELM) def. Roberto Vieira/Chris Smith (UTC) 8-6
2. Henrique Norbiato/Bruno Silva (BELM) def. Ankit Chopra/Stephen Crofford (UTC) 9-8 (7-5)
3. Pavels Grigorjevs/Jackson Tresnan (UTC) def. Fernando Mussolini/Rodrigo Amaral (BELM) 8-5
Belmont 0-2, 0-0 A-Sun
Chattanooga 4-2, 0-0 SoCon