BRENTWOOD, Tenn. – The Belmont women's tennis team notched their second win of the season as they beat Western Kentucky 5-2 in a match played indoors on Saturday afternoon at the Wildwood Club in Brentwood. It was BU's 10th straight win in the series.
Western Kentucky picked up the first point of the match as they captured two of the three doubles matches. The lone doubles victory for Belmont came at number three as Abbey Hogan and Spenser-Anne Edwards defeated Morgan Freeman and Katie DiTommaso 8-4.
In singles, the Bruins stepped up their effort and won five of the six matches to clinch the 5-2 victory. At number two, sophomore Nikki Maciel won her first match as a Bruin as she beat Carolina Barboza 6-1, 6-2. Junior Carolyn Caire defeated Alex Crofford at number three in straight sets, while fellow junior Catherine Holliday lost the first set to Madeline Phillips, before rallying to beat her 2-6, 6-1, 6-1. At the number five position, senior Laura Stack defeated Morgan Freeman 6-0, 6-4, while junior Natalia Nunes blanked Katie DiTommaso at number six 6-0, 6-0. The lone Belmont loss in singles came at number one as junior Fabiana Mersan lost the first set to Monta Reinfelde 6-1, rallied to win set two 6-3, but fell in the third set 6-2.
Later tonight, Belmont (2-3) will face Kentucky Wesleyan in their second match of the day at Wildwood. The match will begin around 6:00pm.
Belmont 5, Western Kentucky 2
1. Monta Reinfelde (WKUW) def. Fabiana Mersan (BELW) 6-1, 3-6, 6-2
2. Nikki Maciel (BELW) def. Carolina Barboza (WKUW) 6-1, 6-2
3. Carolyn Caire (BELW) def. Alex Crofford (WKUW) 7-5, 6-1
4. Catherine Holliday (BELW) def. Madeline Phillips (WKUW) 2-6, 6-2, 6-1
5. Laura Stack (BELW) def. Morgan Freeman (WKUW) 6-0, 6-4
6. Natalia Nunes (BELW) def. Katie DiTommaso (WKUW) 6-0, 6-0
1. Monta Reinfelde/Madeline Phillips (WKUW) def. Carolyn Caire/Laura Stack (BELW) 9-8 (8-6)
2. Carolina Barboza/Alex Crofford (WKUW) def. Catherine Holliday/Nikki Maciel (BELW) 8-3
3. Abigail Hogan/Spenser-Anne Edwards (BELW) def. Morgan Freeman/Katie DiTommaso (WKUW) 8-4
Western Kentucky 0-2