NASHVILLE, Tenn. — On a day when Belmont University was often left wanting for highlights, the women's distance crew provided the bright spot Saturday at Vanderbilt's Commodore Classic indoor track and field meet.
Senior Kiera Weems (Murfreesboro, Tenn.) set a personal record in the mile and three Bruins crossed the finish line together in the 3,000 meters in PR times as well.
They were the lone PRs among Belmont's non-freshmen women during Day 2 of the meet at the Vanderbilt Multipurpose Facility.
Weems won her heat of the mile finals and finished in a PR 5:03.72 for 12th overall thanks to her sprint to the finish line, something she worked on ahead of this season. Her improvement has been built as much in the weight room as on the track, she said.
"Best close to a race I've had since I started college," Weems said. "I've been working with coach (Joe) Frye and coach Cameron (Harvey) in the training room, doing more explosive lifting and working on powerful and short steps. That's really been making a huge difference for me."
Freshman Ali White (Southlake, Texas), sophomore Kortney Schardt (Lindenhurst, Ill.) and freshman Halle Hausman (Johnson City, Tenn.) crossed the 3,000-meter finish line within 0.11 seconds of each other. White was 11th (10:14.61, Schardt 12th (10:14.67) and Hausman 13th (10:14.72).
Junior Karly Hibbard (Edmonds, Wash.) had the women's only top-10 finish by taking sixth in the shot put with a throw of 12.36 meters (40 feet, 6.75 inches).
But overall coming off a holiday hiatus of more than a month since their last indoor meet in December, the Bruins underperformed compared to their potential and expectations, said Harvey, Belmont's Associate Head Track Coach.
"They're better than they showed today," Harvey said. "I expect the athletes to keep improving from here out with the ultimate goal of peaking come indoor conference time."
Belmont gets a chance at redemption next week. The Bruins head to the Samford Invitational in Alabama. Multi-events begin next Thursday with the rest of the meet to follow Friday and Saturday.
Belmont women's results
6. Karly Hibbard, jr. — 12.36m (40-6.75)
14. Kelsey Kay Herring, fr. — 8.46m (27-9.25)
-- Alyssa Andersen, sr. — NS
12. Kiera Weems, sr. — 5:03.72*
20. Jessica King, sr. — 5:12.21
28. Mallory Young, jr., 5:27.95
13. Payton Barlow, fr. — 59.24
15. Katrina Quigley, so. — 1:00.42
16. Annelise Doerr, jr. — 1:02.41
13. Caroline Daniel, fr. — 2:27.92
17. Anna Arrick, fr. — 2:34.06
10. Ali White, fr. — 10:14.61*
11. Kortney Schardt, so. — 10:14.67*
12. Halle Hausman, fr. — 10:14.72*
18. Claire Cheeseman, fr. — 10:33.91*
19. Sierra Lax, so. — 10:41.16
23. Lauren Denemark, so. — 10:58.50
24. Gabrielle Yatauro, sr. — 11:02.23
25. Hannah Denton, sr. — 11:06.32
29. Maria Brauer, so. — 11:27.66