Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Down to the Wire

Down to the Wire

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Belmont Bruins fell to the ETSU Buccaneers in double overtime 1-0 at E.S. Rose Park Tuesday night. The Buccaneers logged a 107th-minute sudden death goal on a corner kick to win the Southern Conference contest. 

The Bruins were led offensively by the junior duo of midfielder Esteban Lestido and defender Marius Svendsen, who meshed for four shots and two shots on goal. In total, Belmont saw shots from eight different players on the evening. 

Freshman defender Dominic Foster tallied ETSU's game-winning score on a header, as freshman midfielder Bradley Empson registered an assist on the corner. 

The Bruins nearly took an early lead to begin the match in the second minute, as Svendsen connected with a header that flew wide of the post. Belmont applied pressure in the first 15 minutes of play, as they collected a pair of corners and shots to keep the Buccaneers at bay. 

Junior defender Nick Kramer's first shot of the season was the Bruins best chance to score in the first 45 minutes. Kramer sped past the ETSU defense in transition in the 35th minute, but his shot fell just off frame. Junior forward Liam O'Brien saw another chance to score for Belmont in the final seconds of the first half on a long throw into the box. 

The Bruins held a commanding presence after the first 45 minutes, as they dominated the shot column by a 6-2 margin. Sophomore goalkeeper Cameron Petty was not forced to make a save through the first half of play. 

After 28 minutes of scoreless action in the second half, Lestido's first shot of the night nearly nestled in the bottom-left corner of the goal. However, the Buccaneers sophomore goalkeeper Josh Perryman made a diving save to keep the match knotted at 0-0. 

ETSU finally generated its first and only shot on goal in regulation in the 77th minute. Sophomore midfielder Kyle Barks saw a chance to score in the dying seconds of the final 45 minutes for Belmont, but it was saved by the Buccaneers to force extra time. 

Early in the first installment of overtime, ETSU fired another shot on goal, but Kramer's body denied a promising opportunity for the Buccaneers. The Bruins were awarded a 99th-minute corner but failed to convert to send the squad to double overtime for the third time this season. 

Junior midfielder Jack Shaw opened the scoring opportunities for Belmont in the 101st minute, as his deflection on a throw-in from sophomore defender Brett Royster missed just wide. Petty came up big for the Bruins moments later, with a full-extension save to hold the match scoreless.

The Buccaneers ultimately broke the tie in the 107th minute, as Foster's header found the back on the net to give ETSU the 1-0 road victory.

Overall, Belmont recorded more shots (10) and shots on goal (5) than the Buccaneers, as each of the Bruins on-target shots came from separate players.

RACKING EM' UP: With 10 total shots against ETSU Tuesday, Belmont has tallied double-digit shots in three of its last four matches.

STOUT DEFENDING: The Bruins have allowed just three goals in their last three Southern Conference matchups and only 14 shots on goal in that span. 

UP NEXT: Belmont will play its previously postponed matchup from Nov. 19 with the Mercer Bears Thursday in Macon, Ga. Kickoff is slated for 6 p.m. CT at Betts Stadium. The Bruins then round out the regular season with a road match against the Furman Paladins on Saturday.