BIRMINGHAM, Ala. -- Belmont Bruins Track & Field competed in the Samford Open this Friday and Saturday, with Braden Carei taking 1st place in the Men's Pole Vault and Payton Barlow taking 2nd place in the women's 400 Meter Dash.
The Bruins were doing everything they could to make sure they were prepared for the race following the Samford Open, the OVC Indoor Championships. With a couple of top 3 finishes and a first place finish in the meet's events against schools such as Murray State, the men's and women's sides proved that they are serious contenders in the OVC Indoor Championships.
The Samford Open proved to be a weekend to showcase the running skills for the girls, as there were several top 15 finishers in the running events for Belmont, including a 2nd place finish.
Sophomore Payton Barlow (White House, Tenn.) finished with a 2nd place finish in the 400 Meter Dash, setting a new personal record by crossing the finish line at 56.95 seconds. Her previous best was 57.40 seconds.
In the 800 Meter Run, sophomore Ruth Wiggins (Mephis, Tenn.) took home an outstanding 4th place finish with a time of 2:17.17.
Out of the 39 runners competing in the 1 Mile Run, sophomore Claire Cheeseman (Brentwood, Tenn.) finished in 11th place immediately followed by freshman Taylor Cuneo (Lascassas, Tenn.), who finished in 12th place.
The story for the majority of the meets is the high finishes for the men in the field meets. While this is still the case for the Samford Open, there were also some high finishes in the running events.
Junior Braden Carei (Uniontown, Pa.) has won yet another Pole Vault event this week, clearing the bar at 4.55 meters high. This is Carei's third victory in the Pole Vault event this indoor season, having won previously in the Vanderbilt Indoor Opener and the Thundering Herd Invitational.
Sophomore Cal Widener (Elmhurst, Ill.) also had a very successful meet in the field events, as he took home a 6th place finish in the Weight Throw on Friday, and a 2nd place finish in the Shot Put on Saturday.
In the 5000 Meter Run, senior Luke Evens (Columbus, Ohio) ran exceptionally with a 3rd place finish.
Also grabbing a 3rd place finish was junior Christian Gonzales (Orinda, Calif.) in the 800 Meter Run.
The Bruins will gear up for an exciting event in two weeks, as Belmont heads back to Birmingham, Ala. to compete in the OVC Indoor Championships February 20-21.
5. Stephen Gibson, Senior, 17.16m
6. Cal Widener, Sophomore, 16.35m
11. Reece Davidson, Freshman, 14.44m
12. Ryan Sheldon, Sophomore, 14.24m
200 Meter Dash:
21. Brendan Elrod, Freshman, 22.53
28. Seth Randall, Junior, 22.71
2. Cal Widener, Sophomore, 15.57m
4. Reece Davidson, Freshman, 15.39m
5. Stephen Gibson, Senior, 14.97m
18. Drake Mitchell, Junior, 6.21m
19. Noah Grimm, Freshman, 6.19m
1. Braden Carei, Junior, 4.55m
9. Noah Grimm, Freshman, 1.95m
5000 Meter Run:
3. Luke Evans, Senior, 14:53.12
8. Daniel White, Sophomore, 15:27.89
60 Meter Dash Prelims:
8. Seth Randall, Junior, 7.13
13. Hayden Stover, Sophomore, 7.12
40. Griffin Hodge, Freshman, 7.34
60 Meter Dash Semis:
10. Hayden Stover, Sophomore 7.03
17. Seth Randall, Junior, 7.13
60 Meter Hurdles Prelims:
12. Drake Mitchell, Junior, 8.79
1 Mile Run:
6. Taylor Vroon, Sophomore, 4:23.70
7. Declan McManus, Senior, 4:23.74
400 Meter Dash:
8. Nathan Nammour, Senior, 49.05
16. Brendan Elrod, Freshman, 49.97
18. Elijah Sheppard, Freshman, 50.28
3000 Meter Run:
12. Jackson Vroon, Sophomore, 8:52.86
800 Meter Run:
3. Christian Gonzales, Junior, 1:55.09
16. Taylor Vroon, Sophomore, 2:01.08
28. Wyatt Womack, Freshman, 2:04.58
31. Declan McManus, Senior, 2:05.03
4X400 Meter Relay:
4. Belmont 'A'
10. Jeanette Morley, Sophomore, 1.65m
Women's 200 meter
19. Payton Barlow, Sophomore, 25.67
11. Maja Gustafsson, Freshman, 11.32m
13. Caroline Pruitt, Sophomore, 5.18m
11. Maeve Carei, Freshman, 3.20m
60 meter hurdles Prelims:
29. Caroline Pruitt, Sophomore, 9.50
60 meter hurdles semis:
21. Caroline Pruitt, Sophomore, 9.33
1 mile run:
11. Claire Cheeseman, Sophomore, 5:14.87
12. Taylor Cuneo, Freshman, 5:16.11
400 Meter Dash:
2. Payton Barlow, Sophomore, 56.95
38. Katrina Quigley, Junior, 1.01.56
800 Meter Run
4. Ruth Wiggins, Sophomore, 2:17.17
22. Caroline Daniel, Sophomore, 2:25.49
8. Belmont 'A'